This is a popular word game, that is simple, fun & easy to follow. It's also ideal for both group & one to one activities.
How To Play The Categories Word Game:
Ask participants to think of as many answers as they can for each of the categories below. To mix things up, try swapping the letters around for each topic.
A variation of this game is to chose a category and then try to come up with answers for each letter of the alphabet. For example: Category - Food & Drink, Potential answers; A - Avocado, B - Bread, C - Chocolate, D - Dates, E - Eggs etc.
- a type of tree beginning with A... - Acacia, Alder, Apple, Ash, Aspen,
- a film title beginning with B... - Bambi, The Band Wagon, Bedknobs & Broomsticks, Ben-Hur, The Big Country
- a game beginning with C... - Canasta, Checkers, Chess, Cluedo, Cribbage,
- a drink beginning with D... - Daiquiri, Drambuie, Diet Coke, Disaronno, Dr Pepper,
- a boys name beginning with E... - Edward, Eamon, Eric, Ernest, Ethan,
- something you'd find at the seaside beginning with F... - Family, Fish, Flags, Flip Flops, Frisbee,
- something sweet beginning with G... - Gateau, Gelato, Genoa Cake, Gingerbread, Gypsy Tart,
- a book title beginning with H... - Harry Potter, Hedi, Hound of the Baskervilles, Huckleberry Finn, Hunchback of Notre Dame
- a holiday destination beginning with I - Iceland, Italy, India, Ireland, Israel,
- something you would give as a gift beginning with J... - Jam, Jewellery, Jigsaw Puzzle, Joke Book, Journal,
- an animal / bird beginning with K... - Kangaroo, Killer Whale, Kingfisher, Kiwi, Koala,
- something red beginning with L... - Ladybug, Lipstick, Lobster, London Bus, Love Heart,
- a school subject beginning with M... - Maths, Media Studies, Music, Mythology,
- a town / city beginning with N... - Nantwich, Newbury, Newcastle, Norwich, Nottingham,
- something you would find in the home beginning with O... - Occasional Table, Opener, Oven, Ornaments, Ottoman,
- a musical instrument beginning with P... - Pan pipes, Piano, Piccolo, Pipe Organ,
- a celebrity beginning with Q... - The Queen, Quentin Tarantino,
- a historical figure beginning with R... - Ramesses II, Rasputin, Richard I, Ronald Reagan, Roosevelt,
- a hero / villain beginning with S... - Scooby Doo, Spiderman, Superman, Sherlock Holmes, Spartacus,
- a mode of transport with T... - Taxi, Tractor, Train, Truck, Tricycle,
- an occupation beginning with U... Umpire, Undertaker, University Lecturer, Upholsterer, Usher,
- something you would find at the supermarket beginning with V... - Vanilla, Vaseline, Vegetables, Vinegar, Vodka,
- a TV show beginning with W - Wallace and Gromit, Wheel of Fortune, Who do you think you are, Who wants to be a Millionaire, Wife Swap
- a landmark / tourist attraction beginning with Y... - Yellowstone National Park, York Minster, Yosemite,
- something you would find at the Zoo beginning with Z... - Zebra,
If you have enjoyed this activity, then let us know by leaving a comment below!